A wide, 17-entry number of unique tales, compiled via an established Asimov collaborator, to rejoice Isaac Asimov's first 50 years (1739-89) as a printed author. all of the tales here's set in a single or one other of Asimov's invented worlds. hence, within the secret division, Edward Wellen proffers a brand new tale approximately Asimov's eccentric near-future detective, Wendell Urth, whereas Edward D. Hoch pens a brand new Black Widowers story. Science-fictionally in other places, Connie Willis writes a waggish yarn within which an getting older Asimov is petitioned via the robots to repeal the 3 legislation of Robotics; Pamela Sargent contributes a brand new story of detective Lije Baley and the Caves of metal; Orson Scott Card weighs in with a novella concerning the institution of the second one origin; whereas Harry Turtledove and George Zebrowski give a contribution tales set in different beginning epochs. Mike Resnick, Robert Sheckley, and Harry Harrison give a contribution new robotic yarns, and nonetheless different adaptations emanate from Robert Silverberg, George Alec Effinger, Barry N. Malzburg, Sheila Finch, Frederik Pohl, Poul Anderson, and Hal Clement.
Read Online or Download Foundation's Friends: Stories in Honor of Isaac Asimov PDF
Best anthology books
The intensity and breadth of technological know-how fiction and fable fiction keeps to alter with each passing 12 months. The twenty-nine tales selected for this booklet by way of award-winning anthologist Jonathan Strahan conscientiously map this evolution, giving readers a charming and always-entertaining examine the superior the style has to provide.
Brief tales via one of many maximum poets of the twentieth century.
In the interpretation of MD Herter Norton
Composed in 1899 while Rilke used to be purely twenty-three, the interconnected stories of "Stories of God" have been encouraged by means of a visit to Russia the younger poet had made the 12 months formerly. it's acknowledged that the vastness of the Russian panorama and the profound spirituality he perceived within the basic humans he met led him to an adventure of discovering God in all issues, and to the conviction that God seeks to be recognized via us as passionately as we'd search to understand God. all of the nice subject matters of Rilke's later strong and complicated poetry are available within the "Stories of God," but their captivating, folktale-like caliber has made them one of the such a lot obtainable of Rilke's works, liked through every age.
The Golden Age of technology Fiction Megapacks are designed to introduce readers to vintage technology fiction writers who may rather be forgotten.
Edward Paul Wellen (1919-2011) wrote basically brief tales all through his lengthy occupation, basically in either the secret box, but additionally (especially early in his profession) in technological know-how fiction magazines. this is often the second one selection of his technological know-how fiction tales we've released, and it's one other reliable one.
About the Megapacks
Over the previous few years, our “Megapack” sequence of publication anthologies has proved to be considered one of our most well liked endeavors. (Maybe it is helping that we occasionally supply them as charges to our mailing record! ) One query we maintain getting requested is, “Who’s the editor? ”
The Megapacks (except the place in particular credited) are a gaggle attempt. all people at Wildside works on them. This contains John Betancourt, Mary Wickizer Burgess, Sam Cooper, Carla Coupe, Steve Coupe, Bonner Menking, Colin Azariah-Kribbs, Robert Reginald. A. E. Warren, and plenty of of Wildside’s authors… who usually recommend tales to incorporate (and not only their very own! )
• “Origins of Galactic Law” used to be initially released in Galaxy technology Fiction, April 1953.
• “The significant Cheese” used to be initially released in mind's eye, may possibly 1953.
• “Root of Evil” used to be initially released in technological know-how tales, December 1953.
• “The Voices” was once initially released in Universe, March 1954.
• “The global within the Juke Box” used to be initially released in Infinity, August 1956.
• “The Superstition Seeders” was once initially released in Infinity, December 1956.
• “The Engrammar Age” was once initially released in Infinity, February 1957.
• “Utter Silence” used to be initially released in Infinity, February 1957.
• “Army with no Banners” was once released in Galaxy, April 1957.
• “Sweet Dreams” used to be initially released in Infinity, July 1957.
• “Dr. Vickers’ Car” used to be initially released in Infinity, October 1957.
• “Note for a Time Capsule” was once initially released in Infinity, March 1958.
• “Old Hat” was once initially released in outstanding tales, may well 1958.
• “IOU” used to be initially released in If, March 1961.
• “Deadly Game” was once initially released in If, might 1962.
From the darkish depths of the previous to the brilliant hopes of the long run, Pati Nagle's tales variety around the palette of human emotion. Named for her Theodore Sturgeon Award Finalist tale, Coyote gruesome, this quantity comprises delusion, technology fiction, old fiction, romance, secret, and some surprises.
- Cafe Europa: Life After Communism
- The Raffles Megapack: The Complete Tales of the Amateur Cracksman, plus Pastiches and Continuations
- The Mammoth Book of Best New SF 13
- The Year's Best Horror Stories, Series XI
- Academic Exercises
- The Cthulhu Mythos Megapack: 40 Modern and Classic Lovecraftian Tales
Extra resources for Foundation's Friends: Stories in Honor of Isaac Asimov
Excellent. Hemophilia. Bleeder’s disease. , the Romanovs of Czarist Russia. Women pass it on through a recessive X chromosome but do not themselves have it. Profuse bleeding, even from the slightest wound. In a test tube, normal blood from a vein clots in five to fifteen minutes; hemophiliac clotting time varies from thirty minutes to hours. A natural for zero-gravity research. ” His voice pitched even higher in his excitement. “Yes, yes. And Flammersfeld’s other project is another natural for zero-gravity research.
His gaze went back to that third screen. All the women there would have been heart-stopping beauties on a lesser world, but they were just enlisted men’s pickings on Trantor. With so many billions of women to choose from, the ones less than spectacular were simply ignored. Smiling in anticipation, Gilmer took the spiral slidewalk up to the Imperial bedchambers. Not even in his wildest dreams had he imagined anything like them. Thousands of years of the best ingenuity money could buy had been lavished there on nothing but pleasure.
Flammersfeld tightened his mouth. Someone was in Buck Two. He hurried to his bulkhead safe and punched the combination. The safe door swung open and he armed himself with the blaser he had never dreamed he might one day have to use. Terrarium Nine, in near-earth orbit, was a six-bucker--six concentric spheres built on R. Buckminster Fuller’s geodesic principle. A pseudo black hole at the center provided Earth-gravity for the innermost sphere. The calibrated pull diminished to nothing in the outermost sphere, where the zero-gravity lab was.