From the Sumerian epic of Gilgamesh to Norse prophecies of Ragnarök to the Revelations of Saint John to Cormac McCarthy’s the line, any variety of fictional zombie Armageddons, and the dystopic global of The starvation video games, we've constantly questioned what is going to ensue after the area as we all know it ends. it doesn't matter what the doomsday scenario—cataclysmic weather switch, political chaos, societal cave in, nuclear conflict, pestilence, or such a lot of different dreaded variations—we necessarily think that even supposing the area perishes, a few component to humankind will survive. Such tales contain dying and catastrophe, yet also they are stories of rebirth and survival. Grim or positive, those notable post-apocalyptic tales chosen from chosen from the easiest of these released within the tumultuous final decade let us think of what lifestyles can be like after the tip.
Read Online or Download After the End: Recent Apocalypses PDF
Similar anthology books
The intensity and breadth of technology fiction and delusion fiction keeps to alter with each passing yr. The twenty-nine tales selected for this publication via award-winning anthologist Jonathan Strahan rigorously map this evolution, giving readers a charming and always-entertaining examine some of the best the style has to supply.
Brief tales by way of one of many maximum poets of the twentieth century.
In the interpretation of MD Herter Norton
Composed in 1899 while Rilke used to be in simple terms twenty-three, the interconnected stories of "Stories of God" have been encouraged by means of a visit to Russia the younger poet had made the 12 months formerly. it really is acknowledged that the vastness of the Russian panorama and the profound spirituality he perceived within the basic humans he met led him to an adventure of discovering God in all issues, and to the conviction that God seeks to be recognized by way of us as passionately as we'd search to understand God. all of the nice topics of Rilke's later robust and intricate poetry are available within the "Stories of God," but their captivating, folktale-like caliber has made them one of the so much obtainable of Rilke's works, cherished via every age.
The Golden Age of technology Fiction Megapacks are designed to introduce readers to vintage technology fiction writers who could rather be forgotten.
Edward Paul Wellen (1919-2011) wrote basically brief tales all through his lengthy occupation, basically in either the secret box, but in addition (especially early in his profession) in technology fiction magazines. this can be the second one choice of his technology fiction tales we've got released, and it's one other solid one.
About the Megapacks
Over the previous few years, our “Megapack” sequence of booklet anthologies has proved to be certainly one of our most well-liked endeavors. (Maybe it is helping that we occasionally supply them as charges to our mailing checklist! ) One query we continue getting requested is, “Who’s the editor? ”
The Megapacks (except the place particularly credited) are a bunch attempt. each person at Wildside works on them. This contains John Betancourt, Mary Wickizer Burgess, Sam Cooper, Carla Coupe, Steve Coupe, Bonner Menking, Colin Azariah-Kribbs, Robert Reginald. A. E. Warren, and lots of of Wildside’s authors… who frequently recommend tales to incorporate (and not only their very own! )
• “Origins of Galactic Law” used to be initially released in Galaxy technology Fiction, April 1953.
• “The significant Cheese” was once initially released in mind's eye, may possibly 1953.
• “Root of Evil” used to be initially released in technological know-how tales, December 1953.
• “The Voices” was once initially released in Universe, March 1954.
• “The international within the Juke Box” was once initially released in Infinity, August 1956.
• “The Superstition Seeders” used to be initially released in Infinity, December 1956.
• “The Engrammar Age” was once initially released in Infinity, February 1957.
• “Utter Silence” used to be initially released in Infinity, February 1957.
• “Army with out Banners” used to be released in Galaxy, April 1957.
• “Sweet Dreams” used to be initially released in Infinity, July 1957.
• “Dr. Vickers’ Car” used to be initially released in Infinity, October 1957.
• “Note for a Time Capsule” used to be initially released in Infinity, March 1958.
• “Old Hat” was once initially released in extraordinary tales, could 1958.
• “IOU” was once initially released in If, March 1961.
• “Deadly Game” used to be initially released in If, may possibly 1962.
From the darkish depths of the earlier to the brilliant hopes of the longer term, Pati Nagle's tales variety around the palette of human emotion. Named for her Theodore Sturgeon Award Finalist tale, Coyote grotesque, this quantity comprises delusion, technology fiction, ancient fiction, romance, secret, and some surprises.
- Moral Agents: Eight Twentieth-Century American Writers
- The Apex Book of World SF: Volume 2
- Three Quarters: A Quarters Collection (Quarters, Book 5)
- Complete Poems, 1904-1962
- The Best American Erotic Poems: From 1800 to the Present
Additional resources for After the End: Recent Apocalypses
With such a fair unique as this What happiness abounds! Who—who could paint my rapturous bliss, My joy unknown to Lowndes! Eugene Field. THE BIBLIOMANIAC'S PRAYER. Keep me, I pray, in wisdom's way, That I may truths eternal seek; I need protecting care to-day. My purse is light, my flesh is weak; So banish from my erring heart All baleful appetites and hints Of Satan's fascinating art— Of first editions and of prints. Direct me in some godly walk Which leads away from bookish strife, That I with pious deed and talk May extra-illustrate my life.
John Kendrick Bangs. THE GRANGERITE. He says he's fond of books as of himself— This man who never yet has hesitated To hack and cut a dozen books for pelf Wherewith one may be extra-illustrated! John Kendrick Bangs. AN ALTERNATIVE. There's Byron on my shelf, and Shelley too; There's dear old Doctor Holmes, and Thomas Moore, With Wordsworth just below him, bound in blue, And Browning's works stand over by the door. There's Milton, Scott, Macaulay's Lays of Rome; There's Tennyson and Matthew Arnold terse; Longfellow, Shakespeare, and Rossetti's tome; The odes of Horace and blest Omar's verse.
Brown Books of mine, who never yet Have caused me anguish or regret,— Save when some fiend in human shape Has set your tender sides agape, Or soiled with some unmanly smear The whiteness of your page sincere. Or scored you with some phrase inane, The bantling of his idle brain,— I love you: and because must end This commerce between friend and friend, I do implore each kindly fate— To each and all I supplicate— That you whom I have loved so long May not be vended "for a song,"— That you, my dear desire and care, May 'scape the common thoroughfare.